Saturday, February 1, 2014

tool storage

Well I am not a big buck kinda guy so I don't have the largest set of tools nor do I have a lot of custom boxes to store my tools. Recently I found a box at Big Lots that stores my knives and gouges quite nicely. It has two levels, the lower having enough room to store extras like my carving gloves, mesh sanding paper, extra pair of reading glasses and my compact strop from Flexcut. The upper level holds my carving knives and gouges. For now I have them laying down though I have considered cutting holes in the floor of this section and having the handles sticking upright. I will use it the way it is for now and see how I like it. I also have a smaller version of the box that I might play around with to see if it would do better but for now I like this the way it is set up. Someday I may try my hand at building a box for my tools but I would rather put my money towards wood or tools those few times I have any to spare.
I recently ordered some butternut wood and will try it out and will let you know how it carves from my perspective. Also from the Art From the Bark Facebook page I got a great tip from Kathy Overcash. She uses chalk mechanical pencils to mark her carvings. She explains it all in her tip of the day so click the link and check it out. I have ordered a set from Amazon and will give feedback on those in the no so distant future as well.

Happy trails and as always

Carpe diem carving



No comments:

Post a Comment