Saturday, May 24, 2014

a cartoon to carving


 Well as you can see I decided to play around with one of my cartoons and see if I could carve one. I made some mistakes in cutting out the pattern and didn't actually leave enough wood in areas for carving details so big lesson learned here. Always remember to leave extra wood because you can carve some off easier than adding some on after the rough-out is cut.

The area surrounding the eyes was cut to shallow so didn't carve that in just did an old style and simply hollowed it out. In certain angles it gives a nice effect but over all I don't like doing the eyes this way any longer. Also the shoes I cut to shallow and when it fell off my table he broke his little feet, so will either address this issue later or will simply move onto the next carving and keep this as a study piece for future reference. I plan on carving out some arms for him and am not sure if I will carve the hands separate or carve them as part of the arm itself. Some carvers will carve these separate for ease of positioning, and yes I know some carvers only carve solid pieces and don't like this way of doing it but I don't care as long as in the end I have a solid carving image wise. Overall happy with my first attempt at this, this was carved on a 2x2 piece of basswood not sure if I will do the same size on the next one or will go to 3".


No comments:

Post a Comment