Monday, November 24, 2014

shelf tree elf


Well this weekend I had the opportunity to do a few things and among them was to carve my shelf tree elf. He is carved from butternut wood. I like the look of this wood on a whole but for most carvings I am not as fond of this as I am bass wood. For this carving though it does seem to work well with the overall carving. I didn't go to in depth with detailing the whiskers on the face, I tried to let the carving and the wood grain work together for this area of the carving. I am debating on whether I will paint him or leave it the way it is yet am leaning towards painting watered down colors so that the wood grain is still highlighted. I do think a bit of color on the tree and face will work as long as I do it discreetly.

as always happy trails
and
Carpe diem 4 carving 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment