Saturday, July 11, 2015

I see faces in wood

My family and I took a trip out of town to visit my wife's family over the 4th celebration and while out on the farm I found some wonderful branches from an American Sycamore tree. It has an interesting grain and is a nice carving wood though the grain can be an issue if your tools aren't razor sharp. There are times when not careful that the wood will not cut but sort of chip away if not careful. As all new woods, the first few carvings become a learning experience the difference being that the knots in the wood become (for me at least) part of the carving so you carve it where you find it and the grain be damned.



 In the next few days I will try and post a few I have carved from this wood. For now I will share this fellow, with a face that only a mother could love. This is the first carving I did from this wood. It was a longer branch in the beginning but I decided to cut all the branches into smaller sections so I would have more to carve and experiment with. Sometimes for me less is more and the smaller pieces of wood make you work harder at coming up with an expression or facial feature that makes the carving stand out and unique. I haven't decided if I will put him on a base but I do have something in mind and will post if I go in that direction. 






"Good night and may God bless"



No comments:

Post a Comment