Tuesday, April 12, 2016

found wood carving 2016


 Some may remember the found wood carving that I did last year and ended up garnishing a 2nd place ribbon at the CCA competition. Well we had some time to visit the family in WVA again and I found a few more pieces of wood to consider carving. This is the first one of the new batch, I really like him and think he really has a wonderful personality. I am never sure how I am going to carve these guys so it is fun for me to watch the carving slowly transform. The base that he is on is from the homestead as is the branch that is making a makeshift arm and hand of sorts.
 The only thing I wasn't happy with was the bald looking head so I carved in some very simplistic hair right below the hat. I thought this broke up the space better and gave more detail to the overall carving. Unfortunately while carving the hair in the little twig broke so I will have to either just not have any hint of an arm or come up with a new way to approach the idea. I have an idea in the back of my head so will consider this and see if it plays out the way I am thinking it will.

Yet arm or no arm for a found piece of wood overall I am very happy with this one and look forward to the next one I carve.
as always, 
Good night and may god bless 




No comments:

Post a Comment