Saturday, April 30, 2016

carving tool handles


Well recently I tried my hand at carving some of Steve Browns tool handles, not my best work, not my worst but not my best. This kind of took me out of my normal carving procedure since with my ornaments I carve from a corner block and these are flat. Now I could have taken my time, did some research and came up with a game plan but instead I took out my knives and just started carving, not the best approach. Made me wonder how many times in life I do this, you know the old "damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead" attitude.

There are times in life this is not only the preferred approach but the only approach, but this was not one of those times. I tend to do this a lot, for example, many if not most carvers draw a portion of what they are getting ready to carve as guide lines but for the most part I just carve away. This is not necessarily a good or bad thing this is simply the approach I take. But in regard to the handles it would have been better to come up with a game plan and think through my approach before carving. None the less the damage is done and the carvings are complete and in some ways I like the end result and how I made lemonade out of lemons but I think I could have done better and will the next time I carve these. As for the design aspect of these carvings I think they have some fun detail and overall I don't hate them. But they can't all be the prize winning pig now can they.


as always,
Good night and may God bless 

No comments:

Post a Comment