Saturday, November 12, 2016

new carver old wood and a study stick or two pt 2


I have modified the study stick just a tad; this is now my Three Dog Night version of a study stick. Yes I am old enough to make a Three Dog Night reference and if you are scratching your head, you are not old enough to understand it. Let's move on, I wanted to get an idea of how this wood would take to a stain and sealant and I also wanted to make it a unique piece for my friend to own. In wood carving there are carving principles but there are no rules, if you can think it you can carve it, for the most part. After all I was told a few years ago that you can't paint butternut, that due to the grain the colors would bleed and it would be just horrible. "Not so fast my friend", it paints different than bass wood but it paints just fine and it gives it a wonderful and vintage look.   


Matter of fact I will be painting this guy in the not so distant future, cause that is what I do, I paint butternut.


as always, 
"Good night and May God bless"


No comments:

Post a Comment