Sunday, November 6, 2016

new carver old wood and a study stick or two




So I met a veteran through the local DAV, he was actually the one who won the auction for my donated soldier and then he graciously gave it to the DAV commander for all he has done for the vets there.


Well he contacted me and said he wanted to get into carving and could we get together so he could pick my brain on all things carving. So the week after I got back from the Hickory show we got together and talked carving and spent some time getting to know each other. He showed me a carving he had done with Vic Hood and also showed me what tools he has at present time. Then he showed me some wood he had and wondered if it was good enough for carving. He gave me the wood to take home so I could cut it down to workable pieces and also try some to see if it was still good enough for carving.

So I took it home cut a few little pieces, then broke my blade so I regrouped and gave one of the pieces a try. I decided to carve him a study stick, everyone needs at least one study stick to work from. I carved both sides to show some variation and also to give more stages as I was one shy the first go around. I may apply a clear finish on this before handing it over to him and have even considered adding a stain to one side just to make it a fun piece for him.

as always, 
Good night and May God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment