Monday, December 26, 2016

scrap wood and cutouts, butternut style

So in the past few days heading into Christmas I played around with a new knife I had been gifted and a few pieces of some scrap wood, and one cut out. Not only had the time in the evenings to carve them but also got them painted.


The cowboy has already headed on to his new home and the other two's fate is yet to be determined.

 All three were carved out of butternut and for most carvers this wood is left unpainted due to the beautiful grain. I on the other hand love the look the wood has when it has been painted and the way the pores of the wood can show through and give the carving a nice vintage look. Butternut is a wonderful wood either way, so if you have never carved with it, you might want to give it a try.

 This little guy was carved from a pattern I designed and will have in my pattern book that should be published in the up coming month, "Lord willing and the creek don't rise". He is only 1 inch thick and  just shy of 4 inches long.


I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and has a Happy New Year

as always, 
Good night and May God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment