Saturday, December 31, 2016

something new to carve


So has anyone carved a "peek-a-boo Santa"? Well I was given a cut-out of one and shown some pictures of how they are normally carved. Yet as many of my family and friends know, I am not always normal. It must be the cartoonist in me that hampers this.




So here is how it's supposed to be done; normally you carve Santa's face peeking out of the tree, so this is done as a relief carving. As we talked about how most people carve this, I continued to look at the silhouette and began to see a completely different face in the wood, mostly the nose and then of course the ear. It seemed so obvious I just had to carve what I saw, that's just how it's done, at least in my mind.



So the first one was carved and I was really happy with how he came out. But as I was gifted two of these, I thought I would carve one my way and then carve the other as it was set-up to be carved to join in with the fun of the other carvers. "But something happened on the way to the forum" and once again I began looking at the wood silhouette and it hit me.



I did it backwards, that side was where the ear should be carved after all it's the better ear. Then this side would make a great nose and well, here we go again, what fun. So as you can clearly see I never carved a "peek-a-boo Santa" but that's OK, I can always cut one out and give it another try. Who knows what I will end up with the next time I try this. After all it's all in how you interpret what's in the wood. Michelangelo once said; "Every block of stone has a statue inside of it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."



as always, 
Good night and May God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment