Thursday, May 3, 2012

A look back and why


Back in the early 90’s when I had just begun carving I wasn’t as particular about the wood I would carve, I at times got creative in my carvings. I worked at a local hardware store and as I was putting away some stock returns when I got an idea. You see I had been putting away some chair legs that a customer bought and then couldn’t use. As I was putting them back in the bind where they belonged, being that they were made from wood of course my first thought was “what could I carve this into”. Well here is the result of my efforts.

Now you might wonder why do I spend time with showing old carvings like this, well for one it will be a way for me to track my progress as a carver. Also it is my way of showing people that you can be creative with your craft, but more importantly, if you just go at it without any effort to learn the process then it will limit the skill level you can reach. It all depends on what you want to do and what you want to do with it.


“I am a poor man and of little worth, who is laboring in that art that God has given me in order to extend my life as long as possible.
” 
Michelangelo

No comments:

Post a Comment