Thursday, October 3, 2013

another carving done

Well I have completed another carving and this one is fun. I am slowly seeing my cartoonist side coming out in my carvings but still keeping refined and more detailed features. I don't remember if I posted anything on this but last year I bought some Drake carving tools and I have to say they were worth it. Great tool, arrive sharpened and ready to go and a decent price to boot. One of my favorite tools out of the bunch and there are a few, is the one I am going to a lot, my #3 3/8 gouge. I have experimented with where and how to use this one and I have to say it works out well in many areas. I never would have used it in the manor that I do if I hadn't have come across Ian Norbury's website. He is an amazing master wood-sculptor opposed to a caricature carver but carving is carving and a lot of his technique translates over. After all I am trying to mold myself into the carver I one day hope to be so to do this I must be open to any technique or style that will help me hone my own technique and style. I have learned from some of the best and made some great friends along the way, and the journey is far from over.

So this guy I have finished I think has a fun look about him and have to say I am happy with the results, there are always things I would do different but I think for me this will always be the case.





Carpe diem carving  

No comments:

Post a Comment