Thursday, April 30, 2015

pine knot carving

 Well a new discovery was made today in reference to carving pine knots. I saw a video a few years back where a Sand O Flex was used to clean up a carving from any fuzzies or scraps still on the carving. Well I recently got one and though I haven't used it on a bass wood carving I did experiment with it on a pine knot carving. I have to say it did great though it did seem to leave a film coloring on the carving, but everything looked smooth and clean so I didn't think anything of it.



Then today I finished a second carving and as I did before I used the Sand O Flex to clean up the carving and of course same as before. Maybe it was because the color of this piece of wood seemed to be a bit darker but the color distortion seemed even more evident and this would simply not due. So I got out a buffing wheel from my Dremel and began to go over the face with mild pressure. To my amazement it not only began to clean up the wood it was as if it was taking the film on the wood and using it as a wax. Not only was I getting a cleaner piece of wood but it was giving it a luster and also seemed to bring out all the colors of the wood. I was so excited about the results that I got out the carving from the other day and began to do the same on it. The carving in the end has a look as if a sealant coating was placed on the wood. I have placed a sealant coating on previous carvings but was always unsatisfied in the end. The carving would look great but the wonderful scent of the wood was gone. Now if this works I can get a finished look to the piece and still preserve the wonderful scent of the pine.

as always happy trails
and
Carpe diem 4 carving

No comments:

Post a Comment