Friday, February 6, 2015


 
Well some days my carving experience is better than others and yesterday was not one of those days. I was working on a rough out just beginning to shape it, a piece of butternut, when a piece let loose due to the grain of the wood and into my finger went the tip of my Mark Akers signature knife from Helvie knives.
 

As many may know Mark requested using the silhouette of one of my illustrations for his knife, something I was honored to have him do. After all he is known for his Santa carvings so my illustration matched up wonderfully for his purpose.


Well it was this exact knife that made contact with my flesh, cutting through elastic wrap, through my glove and into my index finger. Luckily the first two layers slowed it down and in the end made a small but clean cut. So I am now in the market for a new glove but for now will have carry on business as usual. I have to say it is a very disappointing wound deeper than long and really not sure how deep. Every time I tried to check it, it would begin bleed all over again and I never got an idea of the damage done. It just happened to be a place that bleeds easily and makes for a more dramatic visual in the beginning. After carving for a while you get used to a nick here or there, comes with the territory I guess.

Before I forget, the elastic wrap when used for it's original purpose actually helps a cut to close up much nicer than a band aid ever would, for future reference for all who may need it.


 
as always happy trails
and
Carpe diem 4 Carving
and carving gloves



No comments:

Post a Comment