Monday, February 2, 2015

carving bust


 Recently I carved a bust carving based on a picture of a family member. This was not done as a caricature but just loosely based on the image. I haven't carved anything this detailed in a while and have to say I am happy with the results. I was going to attach arms but I don't believe the body portion is broad enough to have shoulders attached. I also wondered if the arms would make it awkward considering the amount of body showing, they might have ended up throwing off the balance of the carving. We will never know since the arms won't be carved and attached, that will be for the next carving.

This carving is based on a hunter who though out in the fields seeking out deer or pheasant hasn't forgotten where he is from. He after all is a Nebraskan so he proudly wears a hunter's cap that will be painted hunter orange with a big red "N" on the front of the cap. He will also have a black jacket under the bright orange vest, he is a fan of the Blackshirts after all. You see this hunter is a Cornhusker and proud of it. I still have some clean up to do but overall this one is done.



as always happy trails
and 
Carpe diem 4 carving
(and the Cornhuskers Go Big Red) 




No comments:

Post a Comment