Well to make a long story short, I got the nose piece to hold and carved some detail into it. I even took the end of a paint brush and used it in the very tip of the nose of the rocket and then the painting began. I got the rocket all painted up and then proceeded to paint the pilot, this is where it got tricky. I hadn't actually had anything set in my mind for how I would paint him. But in the end I think I did it in a way that everyone so far seems to be happy with the results. I will admit to you that part of my decision on what color to paint was from all the comments that this little guy seemed to resemble a well known beagle from the papers. In the end I wasn't overwhelmingly happy with this guy but as the days have passed he has grown on me. So now there is one final touch to apply and he will be a completed carving.
Good night and may God bless