Saturday, August 6, 2016

practice makes perfect, or close to it

Back on July 12 of this year I had shown a study stick and the how to steps for carving a nose. Well one evening I decided to flip the stick over and to carve a nose or two on the back. Well this idea snowballed and before I knew it I had carved in a face, then another and finally one more. All three faces have a bit of variety in the length and shape of the nose and all three have different facial features from each other.



This ended up being a fun little project and I plan to do more down the road. I have to say that the last face carved is my favorite, I could see him as a farmer or a cowboy or who knows, maybe a baseball player. If you look real close you may notice he has a bit of a bulge near his lower lip, looks like he has "a pinch between his cheek and gums". Maybe the next one I will do will have eyes on one side and then who knows maybe ears. I recommend this for all caricature carvers to give it a go, you will be glad you did.

as always, 
Good night and may God bless


No comments:

Post a Comment