Tuesday, August 2, 2016

What did I find


Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptors to discover it.

Michelangelo

With this carving no truer words were spoken and when I was carving in a way that pleased the wood it would let me know. At the end of carving this one I debated the concept of just admitting my defeat and throwing the whole thing away and forgetting the time spent carving it. At the last minute I decided "OK, you don't like the way it looks well carve away and either completely destroy it or save it from its impending doom" and so I did. At first I took a few major cuts out of frustration and then I slowly saw a direction that I could go that may interest me. So when all was said and done I had a salvaged carving with a unique design to it, did this make me like it more than before, not in the least. I am fairly honest with myself about where I think I stand in the carving community. I know what talents I have and what talents I still lack and I am fine with that. Some say I am too hard on myself yet I tend to believe I am a realist. Either way I hate salvage jobs when it comes to carving. Whether due to my mistake or whether I have come across a less than perfect piece of wood to carve.   


No matter which it may be, the carving process is complete and he will be given color before I make the final call on what becomes his fate. But I have to say I kinda like the design quality of this one, maybe Michelangelo was right and I was simply trying to carve what simply wasn't there.





as always, 
Good night and may God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment