Saturday, September 13, 2014

4 new ornaments


  

Well I have 4 new carvings completed in reference to carving. Now I will work on the painting process sometime this weekend, possibly, you know how weekends can get.
 
All carvings are hollowed out in the back but thought one image was enough to give you the general idea on this.

So about the whole painting thing, I have in the past had an issue with the "fuzzies" arising during the painting process, so as I often do I ask some of the veteran carvers I have come to know to get a feel from them on the possible change in procedure in the way that I paint my carvings. On this topic I made my inquiry with Randy True and yes folks he is truly a talented carver. You can click his name and it will take you to his Etsy shop. As Randy always does he graciously sent me his procedures on how to prepare and finish a painted carving. I thought this was wonderful information and wanted to share this here; 

This is what I do to finish a piece:

1. Lightly sand to help smooth piece out.
2. Wood burn all stop cuts. By lightly burning the stop cuts, it will eliminate the fuzzies, plus helps with smooth lines. You don't want the wood burner hot enough to leave dark lines - just hot enough to where it will remove the fuzzies. I usually set my wood burner in between 2 and 3. Test it on a scrap piece of wood first.
3. I spray each piece with Krylon Clear Satin Sealer (you can get this at Walmart, etc. with the spray paints). This will help seal the piece so the watered down paint does not soak into the wood. If there is too much water applied to the wood, you will get fuzzies.
4. Paint the piece.
5. I apply an oil-based antique wash to the piece. This is my preference, some carvers do this, some don't. If you do this step, spray another coat of sealer before you antique it.
6. When the piece is finished you can apply another coat of sealer over the antiquing - this helps to seal the finished piece. If you decide not to antique the piece, just apply one coat of sealer after you finish painting.

When you apply the sealer, try to give it light coats. If you apply too much, when the sealer dries the paint will have a chalky appearance. If this happens, just take a paper sack and wipe the piece down.


So I will be trying this for my next carvings and will give you and Randy an update on how it works out. I like all carvers am in a constant state of learning and growing as a carver, so always remember the only stupid question is the one you won't ask. Wood carvers I have found are the most willing to share and help a new and veteran carver whenever possible. Trust me I have asked some of the greats of wood carving.


as always happy trails
and
Carpe diem 4 carving
(or painting a carving) 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information about fuzzies. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a helpful piece on carving. Painting is my downfall. What kind of burner do you have?
    Thanks again and am looking forward to your next carving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative, as painting is the least thing I love about carving. I have carvings that are months old and still no paint. Thanks again, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete