Thursday, September 11, 2014

protective coating applied to carvings

Well this afternoon I had a chance to apply the protective coating to some carvings and to my fingers. They will hang in the garage to finish drying and get an additional coating if needed. I try not to put the finish to heavy as it will give the carvings a plastic look, where as a consistent coat will protect the carving and highlight the colors and the wood grain. There are some old school ways to apply a finish to the carvings and a few new ways. I use a newer version as it eliminates the buildup of dust on the carving cause even though a lot of my carvings are ornaments I always take the attitude that it could be displayed all year and only on the tree at Christmas time. Many of the newer methods don't have combustible rags that need to be stored in my garage while waiting to be discarded. I like the end results and have no complaints from anyone who has ever purchased a carving from me.

as always happy trails
and
Carpe diem 4 carving 

No comments:

Post a Comment