Saturday, August 16, 2014

splitting pine knots

Well let me start by saying that I am sorry for posting the picture of the latest carving before he had a chance to comb his hair, very upsetting so here he is with a clean combed head of hair. Can't you see how he is smiling now that he has combed his hair, yeah either can I, he's kind of grumpy that way.

                                
 
Now as I have stated I am new to carving pine knots so I may have caused a cardinal sin here but to give me more wood to practice on I took two fairly plain pieces and cut them up into smaller pieces. I now have six smaller carvings to do opposed to two bigger carvings. this works for me as I am still working on my technique and trying to get consistent with the tool itself. One of the issues with me is I find myself carving shallow which ends up leaving my carvings with flat faces, something I will work on in the next few days. I will sit down and work up a sketch or two of facial expressions and focus on carving those into the six pieces. I am hoping that if I start with an image in my mind I will be more directed in my carving. So I will pull a piece off to the side and see if I can see who is in there and try to sketch his image out before carving. I will post the results next week sometime along with the sketch if this idea pans out properly.
 
 
as always happy trails
and
Carpe diem 4 power carving   

No comments:

Post a Comment